The conference “communication the strength of the Kingdom” was first held in Bonaire in 2016 and this year by the disaster management Curacao. A delegation comprising of the Island Secretary Koert Kerkhoff,Coordinator of the Disaster Management, Edris Bennett-Merkman and Austin van Heyningen travelled to Curacao to participate in the 2nd annual Conference on April 6 and April 7th 2017 in Curacao.
The topic for the discussion at the conference are:
- Communication during an oil spill with facilitation by representatives of REMPEITC & IOPA funds of the UK.
- Communications during an infectious disease outbreak” by renown Epidemiologist Dr. Izzy Gerstenbluth.
- Communications during a large Migrant influx by international Organization of migrants IOM.
- Communications during a terrorist threat by the team leader of the Prosecutor General.
- Governor’ role in calamities” by former Governor of St. Maarten Dennis Richardson.
Mrs. Edris Bennett-Merkman explained that break- out sessions will be held of the various presentations, which will give the opportunity to test the respective communication plans and exchange protocols. The general idea is to learn from each other and promote networking and best practices between the islands of the Dutch Kingdom.