Ambulance caught on fire while responding to an Emergency Call

An Ambulance vehicle L-152 (unit 4) caught fire in the vicinity of Ebenezer on Thursday morning.  In the report issued by the Head of the Ambulance Department drs. Cylred Richardson, the Ambulance responded to an emergency call for a security guard who fell ill at the St. Maarten Academy PSVE.


While approaching the gate to reverse a security guard informed the ambulance driver that the ambulance vehicle was smoking and on fire. The driver proceeded to put the ambulance in the park position and also saw fire coming from the front of the vehicle. Immediately the ambulance team members were informed by the ambulance driver that the ambulance is on fire and that they must get out as soon as possible. Quick action was taken by the driver of the Ambulance who called the Fire Department as soon as he noticed smoke coming out from the vehicle.

At approximately 9:42AM a request for the Fire Department and a second ambulance was made via radio communication with the Central Emergency Dispatch Center.


One of the three ambulance team members  that was on duty  attempted to take out some of the equipment from the Ambulance however due to the fumes only a heart monitor machine, stretcher and a portable oxygen cylinder and trauma bag could be taken out of the ambulance. The ambulance team of two then proceeded to assist the patient while the ambulance driver kept a watchful eye on the ambulance that was on fire.


The ambulance driver reported that while awaiting the arrival of the Fire Department, he heard a bang (explosion) and about 5 – 10 minutes thereafter a louder bang from the ambulance that was ablaze.


The patient was transported to SMMC with the second ambulance and crew for the emergency call that was requested initially.


The fire was then extinguished upon arrival by the Fire Department of the engulfed ambulance and thereafter was taken by a tow truck to the parking lot of the Receiver’s Office.  

Thankfully no one was injured, and the fire was extinguished upon arrival of the Fire Department.


Head of the Ambulance Department Cylred Richardson said that the Ambulance has been serviced regularly, and was put back into service just yesterday after being serviced. He also indicated that the incident will be investigated by the relevant authorities