Tips On How to Keep Monkeys Away
The St. Maarten Nature Foundation has been handling many requests on what people can do to keep monkeys off of their property. With the insistent dry weather the Nature Foundation has been receiving many calls from residents wondering how to keep monkeys off of their property; “Because of the weather we have been receiving many calls from people asking how to get rid of these animals in their gardens. We have therefore been researching the best ways to control monkeys on their property. We have therefore come up with some recommendations, which may sound strange, but which have proved effective in other regions,” stated Tadzio Bervoets of the Nature Foundation.
The Foundation recommends a few tips:
1. You can use a hosepipe or garden hose to squirt and wet them. They’re not fond of being hosed and will run away. If they come into or near your house you can use a water pistol.
2. You can simply shoe them away by walking towards them and waving a dishcloth or towel at them. They may stand their ground and threaten you – but don’t be intimidated and they will flee.
3. Vervet monkeys are genetically predisposed to be fearful of snakes – so many advise placement of realistic looking rubber snakes in the garden – but never leave them in one place for too long – as they will learn to ignore it. Try tying it to a piece of string and moving it when the monkeys come close – and they will flee.
3. Fill colourful balloons with air or water and place them over the property. Monkeys are naturally curious and will burst the balloons which will scare them away from the property.
4. Vervet monkeys are often scared off by dogs and having them on your property will keep them away.
5. Vervet monkeys tend to be more afraid of men than women so a male confronting a monkey will be more effective than a female.
6. Make sure your trash bins are covered and preferably have clipped on lids so that the monkeys aren’t able to open them.
7. Use bird netting or similar products to cover your vegetable gardens to keep monkeys away from your vegetables.
8. Sprinkle hot pepper flakes or spray chilli-pepper infused water on plants to keep monkeys away from them.
For more information the public is urged to contact the Nature Foundation at 5444267 or via email at in**@na*****************.org.