Explosion at GEBE Pondfill Substation

On Friday July 5, 2013 at approximately 5:45pm there was an explosion at the Pondfill Substation next to N.V.GEBE Main Office. Smoke was coming from the "High Voltage Switch Gear Building" on the W J Nisbeth Road. As a result thereof, the Police and Fire Department were on the scene within minutes.

The explosion was caused due to malfunctioning of the high voltage switchgear which caught on fire. Several cables feeding certain areas fell out however; the electricity was restored to the affected areas within a short timeframe. GEBE technicians are working diligently to repair the damaged switch and cables which should be completed by midday Saturday.

Management of NV GEBE apologizes for any inconvenience caused.