‘Netherlands cannot impose gay-marriage on Curaçao’

WILLEMSTAD — One cannot impose the gay-marriage on a self-governing Curaçao. Deputy Zita Jesus-Leito (General Affairs, PAR) announced this during a public meeting of the Island Council.


online casino

In this, she responded to statements from several opposition members, who had suggested that possibility last Tuesday. The Island Council discussed the Constitution of the Country Curaçao during the council meeting. While the feasibility of the target date of October 10th, 2010 was discussed during the first question round, during the second question round the opposition-members frequently discussed the amendments of the various laws that had been approved by the Dutch Lower Chamber for the BES-Islands. Due to these amendments, matters such as abortion, homo-marriage and euthanasia will be introduced on Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba in a few years.
Several opposition members, such as Helmin Wiels (PS), Nelson Pierre (NPA) and Gregory Damoen (FK) expressed their fear that a self-governing Curaçao will soon be confronted with this amendment as well. This was strongly rejected by Jesus-Leito. "There is a fundamental difference between the self-governing countries Curaçao and St. Maarten, and the BES-Islands. Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba will soon become part of the Netherlands. We will become self-governing countries within the Kingdom. We have negotiated with our kingdom partners and concluded agreements on five consensus national laws which regard five specific subjects." In this, it regards the consensus national laws for police, Communal Court of Justice, Council for Administration of Justice, Public Prosecution, and Financial Supervision, according to the deputy. "We will handle all other matters", the deputy emphasized.

The deputy explained once again yesterday that the Netherlands couldn’t impose matters such as the homo-marriage on a self-governing Curaçao. "This requires amendment of our Civil Code, and the Netherlands do not have a voice in this. In order to change that, our parliament will have to adopt an amendment of the law" according to the PAR-deputy.